Skin is the largest organ and you should definitely understand how to take care of it and...what you are rubbing into it!
Don’t be fooled by a product name, description or marketing claims - the only way to truly know what is in your skincare product is to read the ingredients – read the INCI list (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) which is a standardised naming system for cosmetic ingredients.
Sounds confusing? Don't worry - my guide will help you become skincare ingredients savvy!
Ready? Let's go!
1. Ingredients are listed in order of their concentrations in descending order from greatest amount to least amount present in the product (except ingredients present at a concentration of less than 1%; those can be listed in any order and you find them on the bottom of the list).
2. First few cosmetic ingredients form roughly 80% of the product so if your first ingredient is AQUA/WATER this means that most of your product is...water and the rest of the ingredients are diluted. Every skincare product containing water requires preservatives, or otherwise it could grow mould.
3. Fancy packaging, clever wording and marketing claims on the bottles can make you believe the product is something that it actually isn’t. So again, read the INCI.
4. Brands tend to promote ingredients that are too small quantity to have any benefits. If a really great ingredient is listed at the very bottom, you're probably not getting much benefit from it.
5. Sometimes, brands provide just the ‘key ingredients’ and leave the rest out or try to make the full ingredients list hard to find. Would you try to hide something you are proud of? Hmm...
6. Marketing claims 'organic' and 'natural' are not regulated and have been used on some products containing 1% of natural or organic ingredients to make them look more attractive.
6. Lastly, sorry to disappoint but...not all natural or plant-derived ingredients are good for you and in fact, some can be toxic and cause skin sensitivity.
Soapisticated® is an independent brand, always transparent about all ingredients used in the formulas. Every single ingredient used in our skincare products has a purpose and is explained here: 'What is in the bottle'
Soapisticated® Facial Elixir has been developed from scratch in the UK and is manufactured in small batches to ensure freshness and quality of the product.
We are proud that our products are:
We only source sustainable, premium quality and organic ingredients and partner with trusted and eco-conscious manufacturers and suppliers. Soapisticated® doesn't use excessive packaging and we ship products in recycled, recyclable or bio-degradable packaging.
Have a green day, oil up and drink plenty of water!